2015/09/08

Comic Book Movies

I have consumed so much creative content lately, I need to produce some. For example, yesterday, I finished an audiobook while watching a movie (don't worry, the film was dialogue-less). Last evening I read three comic books while watching a movie based on comic books. While it may be argued that to truly appreciate each unit of art, I should spend more time devoted to each, my philosophy of speed-reading applies across the forms of media. Take what you need and move on.

A few months back, I met Jordan and decided I wanted to get to know him. All I knew about his was he is into comic books, so I said, "Jordan, introduce me to comics." Unlike any other medium I've seen, graphic novels manage to combine the strengths of many art forms. The written word meets visuals meets film-like frame-to-frame movement. I am fascinated by techniques used to tell the story and direct your eye.

"The medium is the message": different art forms allow you to tell different stories. Logically, Marvel comics were my gateway drugs, since I am familiar with the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). I continued on to other adaptations of familiar book/film/television stories and vice versa. Although I have found some graphic novel-only stories I enjoy, I still like to watch the same story become different stories across multiple media.

Some movies are said to have the "comic book feel". I'm still trying to put my finger on what exactly causes that. It's probably a combination of the visuals, the pacing, camera angles/styles, and character development. Notable examples include: Marvel and DC superhero films, Scott Pilgrim vs. the WorldHellboy (I and II), and Kingsman: The Secret Service. Each is unique in its tone, yet very much a "comic book movie".

I'm excited to continue to explore different art forms, especially where they intersect with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add something to the conversation...