2014/12/13

Knowledge and Veils

At the very beginning of the Bible, it says that Adam knew his wife, and she gave birth to their sons. The word know means experiencing intimacy, not just knowing facts. With that in mind, let us commence:

It took me a while to understood the image of a bride wearing a veil. Why would a man marry a woman who was symbolically hidden? Wouldn't you want to know who you are marrying before you step into that commitment? Yet, we have to make promises all the time without fully knowing what we're signing up for. You can prepare as much as you can, but there comes a point of faith.

But what if you commit, then come to know what's behind the veil and don't like what you see? I have come to know myself more closely over the past few months, and I don't always like what I see. But I'm kinda stuck with myself. It's similar with marriage. We can easily believe the story that says, "If I don't like what's behind the veil, I can walk," but where is the commitment there? Love is unselfish commitment.

Last Sunday my pastor said, "The most loving thing we can do for others is to accept Love from God." He talked about truly knowing God's Love (knowledge being experiential). When Christ was on the Cross (arguably the most loving act ever), the Veil that separated us from God was torn. We are no longer separated, but can know God.

We were created to know God. Not to know about Him, but to know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add something to the conversation...